The chances are you or someone you know has been affected by cancer in some capacity. Each year, about 1.7 million people will be diagnosed with cancer. It’s estimated that 600,000 cancer patients will die from the disease. It can have an enormous effect on families and friends as well who must provide support in this difficult time.
Let’s take the holiday season that we’re currently celebrating right now. If you are suffering from cancer, you might not be of the best health to really stick with the same routine and event schedule then you have in the past. If you are a family member or friend, you might have to halt plans to make sure your loved one is taken care of. Cancer has a social, health, and economic impact. The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) estimates that the total healthcare costs for cancer is $88.7 billion.
Given the ramifications of a cancer diagnosis, you might be wondering how you can help others understand the importance of early screening, cancer research, cancer treatments, and other issues related to cancer care. This can be a loaded issue. As a disclaimer, you should be aware of the fact that some organizations don’t directly impact cancer research. For example, pink ribbon support does not always lead to support in real research … it just keeps helping pharmaceutical companies pursue their financial agendas. If you really want to impact cancer research and raise cancer awareness, you really need to look at the organization before you commit time or money.
How Can You Raise Awareness to Help People Become Aware of Symptoms, Screenings, and Treatments?
- Organize or participate in a walk or some other philanthropic event supporting a cancer cause.
- Wear your support through a ribbon, hat or other garment.
- Use social media as a way to reach more people. Link back to articles, videos, and other media.
- Seek sponsorship from local businesses for a billboard or ad. Reaching out to the media may be another way to get exposure.
- Start a challenge to get your friends and family to share with others they know to raise awareness and support a cause. The Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS was a viral challenge campaign that worked tremendously.
As a cancer research and care organization, the Hope4Cancer® Institute supports awareness to ensure individuals and their friends and families understand the symptoms and treatments available for various cancers. By creating awareness, you can help save a life. Please look at these and other methods to help the general public understand why and how cancer has affected our society.